25.8.05

Taipei, first impression

let s begin by the beginning,
I arrived in Taipei 2 days ago, sick in the plane ( never thought I would vomit more than I had eaten) took the bus to the town center nevertheless and arrived safe and tired at Corentine s flat in the morning.
You cannot imagine how nice the taiwanese are, always helping you, showing you the way and so smiling and cheerful.
I have been struggling with all the papers needed to become legal citizens in this country: which consist of a series of certificates issued by the university ( 50 dollars!) that enable you to go to another office at the other side of town to get another certificate to get your residnt card, which enables you to open an account, to receive your scholarship...next month!
The weather is taiwanese too: sunny and horribly hot and humid and then rainy and just a bit less hot with wind sometimes. 40 degrees at 7:00, so hard to bear. Let s burn some incense to the air conditionning godess!
i am already found of the city. Although it is the messiest, biggest, more complicated city I have ever seen in my all (short) life. I am getting everywhere by bus or MRT to get all my magic papers so I begin to get an idea of the city s configuration, that is a relief.
Just taking a bus to the university turns to a nightmare: imagine a road so ong you would not be able to see the end after an hour by foot, with bus stops every 100m with 5 buses ( different route for each bus stop) stopping there. Well, it took me 15mn and a dozen questions about directions to get on the right (or one choice of) bus(es)!
I made some friends, corean ones and a canadian guy.
unlike one might think, taipei people are really relaxed, there is not so much noise on the streets for a city this size, less than in china anyway. Well, what else? It is clean everywhere, more than in france, there are palm trees on the streets, and I simply love the taiwanese accent, it is so delicate and clear. I understand everybody ( even the car reparer from my adoptive neighbourhood).
The university staff is serious and hardworking ( who says administration cannot be efficient sometimes?)
Just have to solve the problem of finding a telephone chip.the law has changed so you can t buy them in 7/11 no more, and I have been searching a Chunghwa dianxin for 3 hours yesterday, with no success.
oh, and be able to read the complexe form caracters....so many words i cannot read (sniff)